Marvelous Mattie is the story of loyalty, perseverance, determination, and transformation...the transformation of a poor girl who becomes a celebrated inventor and on the way, makes a path for other women to follow. Mattie is a transformer, one of the first to prove that women have brains and abilities, too!
This unit introduces students to law-related education, an important foundation for building character.
The 16-page Kids' Wings unit for Marvelous Mattie by Emily Arnold McCully include:
- Group Discussion Guide;
- Anticipation Guide,
- A readers theater plan for a mock trial focuses students on legal rights of ownership of ideas.
- The 8-page scripted mock trial provides fun and understanding of the legal process.
- A crossword puzzle of the nouns in the story,
- A Transformers page for recording the changes that were made in the world as well as in her life by Mattie's inventions,
- Questions about the events that transformed Mattie's life,
- Research study of students' choices of other transforming inventors,
- Multiple-choice comprehension, and
- An activity that compares books.