The 25-page Kids' Wings Unit for Weedflower by Cynthia Kadohata provides skill-building, collaboration, extension, and elaboration for this awesome historical fiction novel about a Japanese-American family which was sent to an internment camp during World War II.
Also included is a song, Faces of Injustice, with lyrics written by Suzy Red and song and melody recorded by Western performer Ted Newman.
Activities in the unit include:
- background building through an anticipation guide,
- discussion cards,
- a three-page readers' theater script,
- vocabulary list,
- chapter predict-read-confirm questions,
- "Faces of Injustice" summary writing (recorded music and song are included in the PowerPoint format),
- taking notes,
- crossword puzzle,
- multiple-choice comprehension check-ups,
- "Ripples of War" what-if discussion questions,
- "Bull's Words of Wisdom" fallen tile puzzle,
- "Weighing Truth and Justice,"
- sequence activity "Ripples in the Sumiko's Life,"
- comparing books,
- ripples, and
- writing prompts.