Wilson Rawls' Summer of the Monkeys has been a favorite for years. This classic book is a timeless one-of-a-kind story of 14-year-old Jay Berry Lee and his loyal bluetick hound who discover a tree full of monkey trouble in the Cherokee bottom land in Oklahoma in the late 1800s. The activities will extend the fun and guarantee mastery learning of connected skills. Author Wilson Rawls captures readers with his fun-loving style, authentic characterization, and superb literary imagery.
It's a great way to turn an ordinary day into an extraordinary adventure! The Kids Wings literature guide contains character-building activities as well as strong skill-building and fun.
- Pre-Reading Discussion Cards
- Growing Up and Growing Wise
- Character Studies
- The Big6 Song for Research
- Research The Unique Qualities of Monkeys
- Research Oklahoma in the 1800s
- Chart the Story's Progress
- Figures of Speech! Get the Picture?
- Map Study
- Grouped Chapters: Vocabulary, Predict-Read-Confirm
- Multiple Choice and Short Answer Chapter Check-ups
- Comparing to Understand
- Descriptive Language
- Research Sharecroppers
- Research Tahlequah
- Visualizing the Text, Draw Your Answer
- Collecting and Using Visuals and Text Evidence
- Monkey Poetry
- My Monkey Journal
- Answer Pages
- Teacher Supplement
- Plus, a BONUS Interactive Jeopardy-type Game