Case Callahan dreams of someday being a winner like everyone else in his family. Will he win the talent show? Will his science fair project on the heart come out on top? Could he finally win a horse show? In The Winner's Walk, a sudden turn in events teaches Case Callahan that the highest form of winning doesn't come in applause and blue ribbons but in sacrifice and a compassionate heart.
Activities in the unit include:
- Readers Theater Script about Dogs
- Prereading Discussion Cards
- Anticipation Guide
- A Pre- and Post-Reading Discussion Guide by Chapters
- Transform a Story with Quartet Reading
- 15-Second Summaries
- An Estimation Game
- Map Activities: Where in the USA is Kansas?
- Trophy Hunting, A Crossword Puzzle
- Comprehension Check-ups
- What's Real in Realistic Fiction?
- The Agility Trial, a Logic Puzzle
- Writing Noah's Story
- Reaching New Heights, a Fallen Tile Puzzle